Thursday 16 January 2014

My First: Embracing My Natural Hair

Promised to be a better blogger this year and what better way than to kick it off  with a blogger challenge I received as part of the #IamAZedBlogger challenge.

We were asked to talk about our first, and of course a lot of firsts came in mind, not really sure I'd share any of those hahaha, kidding. I'm going to talk about the first time I went to work with my own hair and what it made me realise about embracing your own hair.


If you know me personally you will testify to the fact that my hair is always either weaved or braided. I change my hair often and as soon as one weave comes out braids replace it or something, anything but my own hair. For a long time it was simply because I don't have time to stress over my hair, I just wanna wake up (flawless) and worry about my outfit, not my hair. That was my excuse until my own hair grew decent enough to be brushed and tied back and I still hid it behind something. I realized I didn't really like how I looked with my own hair (sigh, natural hair people step off  lol)

Don't get me wrong, I've rocked natural hair till I was 18, my parents wouldn't even let me relax it and by then the natural hair movement was not in "fashion" so with a head full of stubborn, dry, dull hair it gave me pain. I couldn't wait to relax it and braid it and weave it and all that and that's exactly what I've done since I left high school.  So I guess my perception of my own hair was really poor because once I started laying it down, I looked great and didn't want to rock the struggle look anymore lol.


So fast forward a few years and natural hair is in style, my friends were "going natural" but it sounded like a lot of work so though I loved it, told myself it wasn't me (hahaha) That was until I started noticing all this weaving and braiding had started eating up my hairlike ekkkk!! Have you not seen Naomi Campbell people? It scared the crap outa me.  It may not seem like it but I actually do love my hair. I close my eye and wish it long, health and bouncy without me having to stress. So losing my hairline was a nightmare. I humbly took my dying hairline to one of my natural friends and asked for help, she told me the only way out was not to braid or weave my hair for at least a month while I treated it. Helooooo! A whole month! I almost died. So I compromised, I weaved part of it but left the front out. Slowly my hairline resurfaced. As new year came around I decided what the heck. Took out all the weave and dedicated a week to my hair.

So I went a week with my own hair, much to the delight of my workmates who have NEVER seen it. To be honest this is the first time I grew to respect my natural God given hair. I don't think there is anything wrong at weaving or braiding your hair because it looks really good and saves a lot of time than maintaining your own hair but  my only advise will be don't forget to take care of your own hair. And be proud of it. It's what God gave you after all. We all don't have the greatest hair but you can care for it to a point you're okay with it.
  A little fashion to end the post of course! Thank you for reading xox







No comments:

Post a Comment