Thursday 10 September 2015

I'm the Boss of My Social Media



I'm often told I should blog more. You know what they say, consistency is key. And I agree. It seems unfair to make people wait and never know when the next post will be. But I decided long ago on this blog that I would only blog when I felt I had something worthy to talk about, not just for the sake of having a post.

This also has a lot to do with the fact that at the beginning of this year I made a decision about social media, I didn't want it to control my life so much. Social media is great and I am on many forums because I enjoy them and there are so many networking opportunities. But when it's not handled well social media has a tendency to take over your life and to become an alternate reality. You begin to live your life for social media, and you begin to judge your worth based on the feedback you get from it (like how many likes you get)

I know it's easy to get sucked up in this. And I don't want my life to be like that. So I've taken a lot of time out to actually live. I love taking pictures so I still do, but I don't post every litte thing. I don't have an opinion on every trending conversation on twitter. I don't have to attend every social event I see on Facebook. And you know what? I love it. I'm taking time to focus on real life. Like moving out from the apartment I shared with my best friend (for over a year) and finally living on my own. Saving to furnish my house. Planning trips away, seeing more places, discussing new business ideas. So much has happened since I made the decision to live.

I bet you're thinking why don't you blog about that then? I will. If I feel like. It's my choice. See what I just did there? I gave myself an option. Because I am the boss of my social media, not the other way round.

The pictures are from a recent trip to Siavonga, I will blog about it in my next post:) Thanks for reading!

Photo Credit: Ali Mugeni, Martha Kundwe & Joan Kats

No comments:

Post a Comment